Tuesday, November 23, 2010

ACID FACE OF DOOM

So I’m apparently allergic to something that’s making my face all red ‘n stuff. It’s gross and itchy but it doesn’t really show unless I ravage the hell out of my skin with my nails at four in the morning when I’m half asleep and don’t know any better, which happened about a week ago and left me with crater-forehead of doom. So I went to the doctor at a walk in clinic, and after arguing with him for ten minutes about whether or not my face was dry or not (at one point I got pissed and threatened to shower him in skin flakes to prove it) he wrote me a prescription for some kind of cortico-steroid-ish sounding cream. Which is kind of good (I guess) but also makes me hella nervous. Because when I went and picked it up, the pharmacist warned me that it has a tendency to “thin the skin” so I should only use a really tiny amount.
What. The. FUCK?!
That’s pretty much just saying “here, put some of this on your face. It’s really just acid in paste form, so don’t use too much unless you want to wake up with your bones showing. But it’ll burn the hell out of that rash!”
I hate doctors.
Me: “I think I have a mild allergic reaction on my face.”
Doctor Crazy McPsychopants: “Really? Let’s BURN  it off!”
Yeah, that can only end in good things. WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR FRIGGING CERTIFICATE, OFFICE DEPOT? YOU’RE MEANT TO THROW THE SAMPLES AWAY WHEN YOU BUY THE FRAMES, NOT LAMINATE YOUR NAME ONTO IT AND PUT IT UP ON YOUR WALL.
What the hell does “thin the skin” MEAN?! Should I be looking forward to putting on eyeshadow some day and accidentally tearing a hole in my forehead? Am I going to go out in the sun and crisp up like a bag of Lays?
I’m feeling concerned about this.
edit* I wanted a picture to go with this post, but I wasn't really thinking about it and googled "acid face." DON'T EVER DO THAT. Seriously. Unless you want to throw up everywhere and then maybe cry a bit. Then totally go ahead.
So instead I'm putting up a picture of a bunny because now I'm freaked out and bunnies are way cuter than melted faces.
bunny is not acid


2 comments:

  1. Steroids wont burn your face off dont worry.

    It is my undertanding that it takes longterm repated use to "thin the skin" and that actually thins the epiderms. MEANING: it can be easier to cut yourself but you still have skin.

    IT WILL NOT BURN YOUR FACE OFF.

    When in doubt call the pharmacy student. Steph will clear it up. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omigod, that actually does make me feel a lot better. I've been avoiding using it at all because I'm afraid I'll put too much on and actually wake up with blood vessels coming through the face-layer. I totally forgot I have an on-call source of epic knowledge, lol. Merci beaucoup!

    ReplyDelete